Chairperson – School of Education and Urban Studies – Higher Education Job in Baltimore, MD at Morgan State University – 4.0
Full-timeEstimated: $38,000 – $48,000 a year1 hour ago
- Administrative experience
- Grant writing
Full Job Description
The Chair serves as the chief academic administrator of the Department and provides leadership in all matters of policy, as determined by the Dean and the Senior Vice President and Provost. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Facilitate the operation of the Department through administrative, fiscal, and assessment tasks expected of department chairs.
- Assume responsibility for setting and meeting enrollment projections, recruiting, admitting, and advising students.
- Work with faculty, administrators, and staff to support a research and scholarly agenda consistent with Morgan’s trajectory toward Carnegie classification as an R1 university.
- Maintain effective engagement of faculty with open communication, continuous improvement efforts, and the pursuit of the School’s strategic initiatives.
- Carry out responsibilities associated with annual faculty evaluation, tenure, and promotion.
- Serve on SEUS Leadership Team with Dean-appointed colleagues.
- Represent departmental interests at the College and University levels.
- Maintain involvement with state and national associations and accreditors to ensure programs that are relevant and current.
- Maintain an active and relevant research agenda consistent with expectations of an associate or full professor.
- Teach one to two doctoral courses each year and advise graduate students.
- Implement and lead in the design of professional development activities for faculty.
Requested Minimum Qualifications
- An earned PhD or Ed.D in Higher Education, Educational Studies, Educational Administration, Educational Leadership, Educational Policy or a field of study that is closely related to one of the programs in the department.
- Demonstrated commitment to inclusion and social justice
- Prior University academic administrative experience expected to include budget and personnel management.
- Evidence of strong leadership skills and experience consistent with the expectations of a department chair (experience as college/department chair preferred).
- Experience leading, managing, and/or directing graduate programs.
- Evidence of successful graduate level teaching, and service consistent with the rank of associate or full professor, with preference given for prior dissertation committee experience
- Evidence of advanced research competence in the field of education.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with students and colleagues from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues at the departmental, college, university, public school, and agency levels.
- Evidence of success and/or potential for success in securing external grants.
- Evidence of demonstrated ability to contribute to the mission of the School of Education and Urban Studies and the University.
Other Preferences for Consideration
chronicle of higher learning
Posting Number FA00124
Number of Vacancies 1
Job Open Date 07/01/2021
Application Review Date
Job Close Date 09/30/2021
Special Instructions to Applicant
Position Availability: Fall 2021
Application Review: Application review begins immediately and may continue until the position is filled.
About the Company
Company: Morgan State University – 4.0
Company Location: Baltimore, MD