Data Architect (Operational Data) Job in Bristol at Department for Education –
£49,861 – £57,603
Additional allowances may be made for exceptional candidates.
DFE – Operations Group
Type of role
Architecture and Data
Flexible working, Full-time, Homeworking, Part-time, Compressed Hours
Number of posts
Bristol, South West, BS1 6EH : Coventry, West Midlands, CV1 2WT : Darlington, North East, DL1 5QE : Leeds, Yorkshire and the Humber, LS2 8ER : Manchester, North West, M1 2WD : Newcastle upon Tyne, North East, NE1 8QH : Nottingham, East Midlands, NG1 6HJ : Sheffield, Yorkshire and the Humber, S1 2FJ
About the job
The Department for Education (DfE) is striving to provide world-class education, training and care for everyone. Data plays a key role in achieving this vision; with a data-led DfE, we know that responsive and confident decision making will lead to better outcomes for all children, young people and adults.
As Data Architect, you will work within or across services and service lines to provide expert guidance on the development of data-driven services, the implementation of data governance and the improvement of data quality. You will be responsible, under the Chief Data Architect, for designing data flows and data models for services to ensure they use the best quality data within their user journeys and create good quality, reusable data assets for the DfE.
The Data Architecture team, reporting to the Chief Data Officer, has primary responsibility for ensuring the best use of data across the Department, and for designing data flows for the DfE’s digital services and applications as well as across the education sector and beyond. This includes developing data strategies, principles, policies, standards and practices for use across Digital and Technology, and liaising with Service Owners across the Department to drive up understanding of the impacts of data quality on delivery.
- Identifying the best sources of data across the department for different uses
- Mapping systems, processes and interfaces that create and consume data
- Applying departmental data standards to services
- Designing and/or mapping data flows into, within and from digital services to support user journeys and enterprise business processes
- Producing conceptual, logical and physical data models for services
- Ensuring metadata is captured for data within services
- Ensuring services are developed with high data quality in mind
- Ensuring services take into account legal and other compliance considerations around data
We are looking for you to demonstrate your essential experience of:
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience
- Data modelling experience, conceptual, logical and physical
- Experience designing and implementing data standards
- Experience of strategic design of automated data flows within and between digital services for complex data products.
Applicants currently holding a permanent post in the Civil Service should note that, if successful, their salary on appointment would be determined by the Department’s transfer / promotion policies.
As a member of the DfE, you will be entitled to join the highly competitive Civil Service Pension Scheme, which many experts agree is one of the most generous in the UK.
You will have 25 days leave, increasing by 1 day every year to a maximum of 30 days after five years’ service. In addition, all staff receive the Queen’s Birthday privilege holiday and 8 days’ bank and public holidays.
We offer flexible working arrangements, such as job sharing, term-time working, flexi-time and compressed hours.
As an organisation, which exists to support education and lifelong learning, we offer our staff excellent professional development opportunities.
About the Company
Company: Department for Education –
Company Location: Bristol