ESL Program Coordinator, University of Calgary Continuing Education Job at University of Calgary Calgary, AB
The Department of Continuing Education is currently seeking Full-time Limited Term ESL Program Coordinatorsfor approximately 1 year.
University of Calgary Continuing Education houses one of Canada’s largest and most successful continuing education departments. In support of the University of Calgary’s core principles and financial objectives, Continuing Education is an academic unit with a mandate to respond to the needs of the community through the design, development and delivery of lifelong learning opportunities.
The English Language Program (ELP) provides second language learning solutions at the local and international level for individual, institutional, and business clients. High quality, customer-centered, comprehensive language programs for international adult learners are the core business of the ELP. This position reports to the Manager, Customer Service and Operations, and Manager, International Partnerships. The position works closely with Managers, Coordinators, Instructors and other staff in a cross-functional team environment that supports over 1000 English learners annually. The ability to provide exceptional customer service, multi-task, develop systems for working in a job/share environment, communicate effectively and handle high volumes of work during peak periods is essential to this position. Additionally, this program provides supports services for full-time international students in Continuing Educations’ International Professional Programs (IPP) and Calgary International Summer Program (CISP).
The ESL program occasionally requires the ability to work a variable schedule (evenings, weekends, and irregular work days). Some off-campus work will be required. Peak work periods are July, August, September, January, and April. Time off during peak periods will be limited.
Working under the general supervision of Manager, Customer Service & Operations, and Manager, International Partnerships, the purpose of this position is to provide customer and clerical support for high quality, revenue-producing ESL programs and courses.
Functions are carried out under minimal supervision, working within established guidelines, procedures and accepted protocol.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
- Provide information and service to students, instructors, staff, visitors, employers, professional associations, the general public and co-workers regarding the educational programs, services and processes of Continuing Education and the University.
- Ensure that that admission applications, course registrations, transfers/withdrawals and fee transactions are processed appropriately.
- Assist ELP Managers with the promotion of courses and programs using various tools such as mail outs, email, and by phone to disseminate information and material to identified markets and established clients.
- Make appropriate referrals to University services and departments, and/or other educational providers and services to link students with the most appropriate education programs for their needs and goals.
- Ensure that customer concerns are resolved effectively following established procedures/guidelines, or appropriate referral.
- Ensure the needs of instructors are supported efficiently i.e. provide relevant information on programs and general procedures, instructional payments, etc.
- Effectively handles all arrangements to ensure the successful delivery of courses including, room set-up, on-line course requirements, audio-visual equipment, student check-in, ordering textbooks and course material, and other needs as they relate to specific instructional methods.
- Resolve logistical issues that arise during the delivery of courses/events.
- Ensure that University policy and procedures with respect to Copyright, Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, Records Management, and Risk Management are adhered to.
- Monitor course financial accounts to ensure revenues and expenditures are reflected correctly.
- Maintain an understanding of the various promotional/communication vehicles used in UCCE (program guide, web site, etc.).
- Manage own time effectively to accomplish tasks and ensure immediate supervisor is kept informed of activities and workloads.
- Meet deadlines for specific tasks while working with a highly variable schedule.
- Using the Performance Management model, recognizes professional development needs and engage in continuous learning to maintain currency and advancement of skills and knowledge.
- Provide current and prospective students with information & assistance on course and program selection, registration, program requirements, refunds and transfers, and scheduling.
- Process admission applications, course registrations, transfers/withdrawals, and fee transactions
- Process payments made by charge/debit card, cheque, invoice, cash or bank wire.
- Provide support for students to gain campus access, such as UPass, Kinesiology, UniCard and other access as needed.
- Liaise with foreign institutions and professional educational agents in administering second language programs of study
- Inform students and clients groups of the educational programs and services of the English Language Program, Continuing Education, the University, and other educational providers.
- Respond effectively to ELP student concerns and provide general student support.
Administrative and Course Support:
- Manage student and instructor records in compliance with University policy (i.e. retention and destruction)
- Monitor student program requirements for parchments/certificates.
- Coordinate student assessment packages and credentials.
- Coordinate the distribution of course evaluation instruments and handle follow-up processes/procedures as required
- Create and maintain course sections in ContEd registration system.
- Provide support to create and maintain various promotional/communication materials, such as brochure, website and social media. Provide Instructor support/information sessions
- Maintain inventory of office and instructional supplies, materials and equipment.
- Process payments for supplies, instructional services, and other services
- Prepare student materials and records (ex. orientations, ELP transcripts and parchments).
- Provide eLearning logistics and support (i.e. delivery platform and related resources)
- Book facilities and communication media resources.
- Order instructional supplies, materials and equipment.
- Maintain inventory of marketing and promotional materials.
- Support recruitment and promotional events.
- Provide clerical support to Associate Director, International.
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Minimum of 3 years work experience working in an ESL program in a post-secondary educational environment.
- Completion of a level of education equal to a business administration certificate, diploma program, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- An undergraduate university degree or a demonstrated record of continuous learning and experience working in a post secondary school environment would be an asset.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, organizational, and time management skills with the ability to set priorities and meet deadlines
- Reliable team player who uses good judgment, approaches matters in a professional and positive manner, and demonstrates a strong customer service orientation.
- Highly proficient in the use of the Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, and Outlook)
- Experience with the University’s core business systems — PeopleSoft, e-Procurement, and Continuing Education Student Registration System (Destiny One) or other educational student info. systems would be an asset.
- Experience with print media publishing, web-management system, social media management would be an asset.
- Positive attitude and demonstrated ability to be a collaborative team member.
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and experience working with clients of limited English proficiency.
- Oral and written fluency in Japanese, Spanish Chinese or Korean is an asset.
- Knowledge of language learning theory and principles is an asset.
- Ability to perform multiple and complex tasks with attention to detail in a fast paced challenging environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills along with a strong customer service orientation.
- A high degree of personal effectiveness with strong organizational and administrative skills.
- Good judgment and initiative, tact and diplomacy in dealing with the frequent interactions with students, instructors, staff, University departments and external organizations.
Application Deadline: October 06, 2022
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is part of the AUPE bargaining unit, and falls under the Operational/Administrative Job Family, Phase 3.
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our .
The University strongly recommends all faculty and staff are fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
About the University of Calgary
The University of Calgary is Canada’s leading next-generation university – a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation’s most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada’s top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. For more information, visit .
The University of Calgary has launched an institution-wide in line with the foundational goals of , committing to creating a rich, vibrant, and culturally competent campus that welcomes and supports Indigenous Peoples, encourages Indigenous community partnerships, is inclusive of Indigenous perspectives in all that we do.
As an equitable and inclusive employer, the University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their academic and professional success while they are here. In particular, we encourage members of the designated groups (women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible/racialized minorities, and diverse sexual orientation and gender identities) to apply. To ensure a fair and equitable assessment, we offer accommodation at any stage during the recruitment process to applicants with disabilities. Questions regarding [diversity] EDI at UCalgary can be sent to the ( ) and requests for accommodations can be sent to Human Resources ( ).
We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, however preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
About the Company
Company: University of Calgary
Company Location: Calgary, AB