School Camp Facilitator Job in Cape Town, Western Cape at Bridges Retreat Centre –
Bridges Retreat Centre, Franshoek Western Cape
School Camp Facilitator
CONTRACT TYPE: FIXED TERM
START: IMMEDIATELY OR JANUARY 2022
Many of us can remember times when our own lives were impacted on a camp or a time away. We believe that these experiences create significant moments that have the potential to positively impact the trajectory of young lives.
As the new owners of the Bridges Retreat Centre (BRC), we believe in the transformative power of short-term, facilitated group experiences where people are out of their normal home, work and community situations and are engaged in learning and growing emotionally, mentally, relationally and spiritually in the beauty of creation.
Bridges Retreat Centre, nestled in the beautiful Franschhoek Valley, is made up of 12.5 acres of land and a world class Youth Retreat Facility that sleeps over 150 people. The campus boasts world class amenities, surrounded by awe inspiring vineyard and mountain views.
We would like to make the Bridges Retreat Centre available through fully funded camps for school groups from under-resourced communities. We want to see the treasure that is Bridges, shared with those that need it most.
We are looking for a highly motivated School Camp Facilitator.
- to engage primary schools,
- to implement and facilitate the Education Program onsite and
- to support learners (Grades 5 – 6 – 7) in their academic and personal development journey.
THE SCHOOL CAMP PROGRAMME
Our 48-hour (2 night) Educational Programme will focus on the development of learners in 3 areas.
- MIND. Catch up Curriculum lost during COVID-19 and new CAPS aligned modules best taught in an outdoor educational space
- HEART. Social Emotional Wellbeing. The programme will explore issues of the heart, seldom coached at a school level, but so important in dealing with the social and emotional impact COVID-19 has had on young lives. Sessions will include topics on identity, self-image, purpose, character, choices, goals, respect, self-management and belonging. We want Learners to leave Bridges with a deeper understanding of their own value and a vision of hope for their futures.
- BODY. Awesome Outdoor Adventure. Learners will have the opportunity to;
- Try new exciting activities, develop new skills
- Have plenty of healthy exercise and fresh air
- Learn valuable teamwork and leadership skills
- Learn to love nature and appreciate the environment
- Have lots of fun and memory making moments
We believe that these short term, high impact, transformative camps, made available to learners from impoverished communities, will have a lasting impact on the developing minds and hearts of the young people who attend, which will ultimately contribute to shaping a better future for our country, for generations to come.
As the Bridges School Camp Facilitator, you will be onsite, at the Bridges Retreat Centre in Franschhoek, when camps are in session from Tuesday mornings till Thursday afternoons, running and overseeing the Camp Programme. Mondays and Fridays will be spent preparing for upcoming camps.
The successful individual will be responsible for (not limited to) the following:
- Help refine the School Camp Model
- Help refine the camp programme around the following elements:
- CAPS aligned curriculum including catch up curriculum where needed and grade specific modules best suited to outdoor education
- Social Emotional Wellbeing component
- Work with the Camp Director to ensure that the BRC campus is appropriately geared toward camp outcomes
- Define and work toward clear Programme outcomes
- Help to identify new schools across under resourced communities to participate in the programme
- Facilitate and mentor learners onsite through group sessions
- Marketing of BRC School Camp Programme to schools
- Work with School Educators that will attend camps with each participating school
- Work with Educators to adapt the camp programme to their specific grade’s needs
- Efficient planning and execution of Camp Programme from time of arrival to time of departure
- Continuous Programme monitoring and evaluation, debrief sessions at end of every camp day
- Work within given budget to ensure resources, tools and equipment is well spent and taken care of
- Embed a culture of excellence and growth within the Bridges School camp team, school staff, extended Bridges Team and learners
YOU’LL THRIVE IN THIS ROLE IF… You enjoy working in a startup environment, you are passionate about making a difference in the lives of children by improving the quality of holistic education in South Africa, have the relevant experience and the desire to serve with an organization that loves our city and is passionate about social justice. You are driven to collaborate and partner with other key role players and broker new relationships. You are highly proactive with strong self-leadership skills and can inspire, equip and lead a team. You have advanced problem-solving and decision-making skills and a pioneering and resilient spirit. You are a skilled communicator with excellent interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills.
- Relevant tertiary qualification (teaching qualification advantageous)
- A background or significant experience in the Education sector (camp facilitation advantageous)
- Experience implementing and managing educational programmes
- Min 5 years relevant experience in educational programmes
- Experience leading and developing youth teams
- Relationship building experience with Educators – this may include schools, WCED, other organisations
- Strong supervising skills and ability to support team members with respectful confidence
- Passionate about the role of quality education in the development of children
- An innovative member of the team, involved in and committed to the Bridges mission
- Cultural intelligence and great people skills
- Alignment with the Bridges values, namely Christ-centredness, respect, teamwork, accountability and excellence
- Advanced computer skills especially in Microsoft Office
APPLICATIONS: To apply, please send a motivational cover letter, your CV and two recent work references by 5 November 2021 REF: Indicate the position title in the subject line
Application Deadline: 2021/11/05
Expected Start Date: 2022/01/10
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: From R8,000.00 per month
- Do you have your own transport?
- Facilitation: 5 years (Required)
- Youth & Children: 2 years (Required)
- English/ Afrikaans/ Isi-Xhosa recommended (Required)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
About the Company
Company: Bridges Retreat Centre –
Company Location: Cape Town, Western Cape