Skills Development Manager Job in Bristol at Department for Education –
£36,498 – £40,297
Senior Executive Officer
DFE – Education and Skills Funding Agency – Apprenticeship Directorate
Type of role
Flexible working, Full-time, Job share, Part-time
Number of posts
Bristol, South West, BS1 6EH : Coventry, West Midlands, CV1 2WT : Leeds, Yorkshire and the Humber, LS2 8ER : Manchester, North West, M1 2WD : Newcastle upon Tyne, North East, NE1 8QH : Sheffield, Yorkshire and the Humber, S1 2JF
About the job
This new role will be situated within the SME Market Engagement Team (Brokerage, Flexible Apps) who are responsible for contracting managing projects in the apprenticeship space and working with intermediaries who deliver them.
Successful applicants will manage a caseload of intermediaries to ensure that they are working to project plan, managing project deliverables and ensuring payments are processed in a timely and efficient manner.
This role is to provide support to the Senior Skills Development Manager to:
- Contract manage a caseload of intermediaries / partners
- Drive up the quality of apprenticeships, ensuring that apprentices always have the best access, opportunity, and support to successfully learn, work and achieve their apprenticeship.
- Encourage stakeholders to create more apprenticeships, especially for young people.
- Ensuring apprenticeships are accessible to individuals at all stages of their career, enable social mobility and increase diversity and inclusion.
- Encourage more employers to recruit apprentices, especially SMEs, that are relevant and responsive to their skills needs and economic priorities.
- Grow employer engagement in T Level Industry Placements and other appropriate skills programmes.
- Through intermediaries increase employer take up of high-quality skills programmes (apprenticeships, T levels, Traineeships) providing expertise, support and challenge to encourage growth and improve quality.
- Contract manage 4-10 “growth partner” organisations to ensure we achieve value for money from our spend and tightly manage delivery.
- Use commercial skills and acumen, negotiate and performance manage contractors to deliver upon their contract, influencing them to ensure our priorities are achieved.
- Take intervention and corrective actions where contractors are not meeting their obligations
- Using financial and performance data to inform intervention and monitoring activities.
- Showcase and share examples of best practice
- Evaluate delivery pre, during and post contracted delivery
- Work with financial, risk and commercial teams to manage risk, budgets and compliance.
- Analysing and interpreting management information to support the development and delivery of strategies to support the above.
- Undertake lead responsibilities where required to: showcase the positive outcomes of your engagement through intermediaries, provide case studies and PR opportunities to promote high quality apprenticeships, T Levels and Traineeships as well as other skills programmes available.
- Undertake project work where required around the growth of technical education providing expertise, operational delivery, and support.
- Completion of accurate and up to date CRM records to evidence activity.
- Work close and collaboratively on a daily basis with relevant teams across the department and other government departments ensuring synergy.
- Undertake lead responsibilities where required
- All members of the team are expected to make a full contribution as a member of the wider team, including working collaboratively across boundaries and flexing in line with overall priorities, ensuring that the Employer Relations and Communications division and the wider ESFA remains a welcoming and inclusive place for everyone to work.
Strong relationship management skills, ability to engage with stakeholders to set priorities, objectives, timescales and provide constructive solutions as required.
Involve a diverse range of colleagues, stakeholders and delivery partners in developing suggestions for improvements.
Strong and decisive analytical skills, researching information of accounts and using data to drive activities.
Excellent networking capability, adaptable to change and resilient.
Authentic at influencing and negotiating at an intellectual and emotional level.
Knowledge of apprenticeships and T Level industry placements.
Applicants currently holding a permanent post in the Civil Service should note that, if successful, their salary on appointment would be determined by the Department’s transfer / promotion policies.
As a member of the DfE, you will be entitled to join the highly competitive Civil Service Pension Scheme, which many experts agree is one of the most generous in the UK.
You will have 25 days leave, increasing by 1 day every year to a maximum of 30 days after five years’ service. In addition, all staff receive the Queen’s Birthday privilege holiday and 8 days’ bank and public holidays.
We offer flexible working arrangements, such as job sharing, term-time working, flexi-time and compressed hours.
As an organisation, which exists to support education and lifelong learning, we offer our staff excellent professional development opportunities.
About the Company
Company: Department for Education –
Company Location: Bristol