STEM Education Outreach Internship Job in Baltimore, MD at Learning Undefeated –
Position: STEM Education Outreach Internship
Position description: Learning Undefeated is seeking several energetic, organized individuals to assist our professional STEM educators with a variety of virtual and hybrid summer learning opportunities. Interns will work closely with camp staff and students ranging from grade 6 through college.
Activities include preparing and organizing laboratory supplies, serving as a mentor for camp participants, and conducting hands-on laboratory science activities virtually and/or onboard our mobile laboratories (strict COVID-19 safety protocols in place). In addition to providing instruction, Interns may assist in the development of the associated curriculum and coordinate all camp visits, supplies, and equipment. This position reports to the Education Director.
This is an incredible opportunity to be part of a team that is changing how STEM education is delivered, with a specific focus on underserved communities. The ideal team member will be high-energy, creative, flexible, solutions-oriented, and able to handle rapidly changing circumstances with grace. In return, we offer an unparalleled opportunity to be part of the next big thing in STEM education, excellent benefits, and an entrepreneurial work environment that supports individual success.
- Coordinate, prepare, and deliver camp supplies, reagents, and equipment
- Serve as a friendly, encouraging, and supportive near-peer mentor for camp participants
- Present STEM-focused camp curriculum (training provided)
- Interact courteously with both campers, their guardians, and camp staff
- Clean and maintain laboratory facilities
- Serve as a near-peer mentor for youth from low-income communities
In return you will…
- Gain science and education curriculum development skills
- Serve alongside recognized thought leaders in the informal STEM education space
- Make career connections with leading biotech, pharma, health, and technology companies
- Develop communication, writing, and public speaking skills
- Hone your teaching skills with middle and high school students, both in the classroom and in an informal education setting
- Major coursework in science, engineering, mathematics, technology, or education preferred but not required
- Youth programming experience preferred but not required
- This position requires an individual with outstanding customer service and attitude who is friendly, outgoing, and has the ability to work well as part of a team.
- The Intern must be able to work independently with the initiative to manage their own workload without much supervision. They must be flexible and adapt well to unpredictable situations.
- Must be able to pass a Maryland childcare background check.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required.
- Must be able to commit to a period of work between June and August 2021, weekdays and some Saturdays.
The fine print: Must provide own transportation. This position will be based in Baltimore or Gaithersburg, MD, and will include some local travel to and from camp locations in central Maryland.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary, Internship
Pay: $15.00 per hour
Learning Undefeated follows all school systems, local and state health departments, and other official guidance to create protocols and procedures to operate our educational programming in a safe manner. In-person summer programming staff are vaccinated.
Ability to Commute/Relocate:
- What is your preferred start date?
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- youth programming: 1 year (Preferred)
About the Company
Company: Learning Undefeated –
Company Location: Baltimore, MD